CHARACTERISTICS OF STEEL REINFORCEMENT BARS
Installing concrete surfacing, performing rough finishing works (plastering walls and a ceiling surface), strengthening the masonry, it is necessary to use a binder material, which is a reinforcing metal mesh. In other words, it is necessary to use rebar (other names: reinforcing bar, reinforcing steel, steel reinforcing bar, reinforcement steel). Rebar means a steel bar or mesh of steel wires, which are used as a tension device in reinforced concrete.
Characteristics of rebars
To be able to make well-informed decisions about the quality of steel rebars in a holistic manner, it is imperative that we are conversant with the steel characteristics that have a bearing on the mechanical properties of the rebars.
The characteristics which determine the criteria of a good rebar are:
- Good strength for economic design of the structure.
- Good gripping with concrete i.e. good bonding.
- Thermal expansion characteristics compatible with concrete.
- Good ductility to withstand cyclic loading (for example earthquake loading) or impact.
- Good bendability which is essential for giving requisite shape to rebars to suit the demand of the structures.
- Good weldability for the ease of good reinforcement cage binding and saving of lap length.
- Good resistance against corrosion for higher durability of the structure.
How to choose the right reinforcing bar?
You can check the quality of steel bars by following steps:
- Buying steel, choose only one grade that is specified in the drawing
- At every running meter of the bar length, there should be the identification mark from the manufacturing company.
- You need to check the absence of rust on bars. If there is rust, the reinforcing bars are of low quality.
- The diameter of the bar should be the same as specified in the drawing. Check it with a vernier calliper.
Where can I find good rebars?
Sometimes for the production of rebar, some companies use unknown scrap, automobile scrap, defence scrap, scrap from ship breaking, etc. of unknown or unsuitable quality. But steel reinforcements are like a skeleton in the human body, that’s why it is necessary to use high-quality materials from proven companies. Safety should always be in the first place. So, Quality Steel Ltd offers you nothing but steel products of the best quality. They can cut and bend your rebars to make them even more efficient and customised to your personal needs. Their rebars all fit within current UK diameter norms (BS8666:2005), ranging from 6 to 42 mm. Thanks to the precision of the equipment, Quality Steel Ltd. can bend rebars into a large variety of shapes, allowing them to create rebars that can serve the exact purpose you need them to serve.